Agency Contact Information
Agency Head: Diana Hulst, Executive Director
Address: 330 Grove Street, DeKalb, Illinois 60115
The DeKalb County Youth Service Bureau, Inc. (YSB) assists youth as they build healthy lives and relationships with their families, friends, and community.
The DeKalb County Youth Service Bureau (YSB) has been enriching the lives and relationships of youth ages 8 to 18 and their families for over 45 years. YSB became a separate agency in 1971 after being a City of DeKalb Department since 1969. YSB was one of three initial youth service bureaus in Illinois and since its inception, continues to respond to and meet the service needs of today’s youth and their families. YSB is a not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors from throughout DeKalb County.
About 40% of our financial support comes from the DeKalb County Community Mental health Board
Programs & Services
Individual & Family Counseling
- Our trauma certified therapists work to help youth and their families through a variety of problems including issues such as school behavior, anxiety, depression, family conflict, parenting, self-esteem, sexual abuse, grief, violence, truancy, self-injury, homelessness, trauma and crisis situations. We have a bilingual counselor on staff to serve our Hispanic population.
YSB offers specialized groups dedicated in the areas of:
- Anger & Emotion Management
- Drug & Alcohol Early Intervention
- Parenting Class
- Girls Empowerment
- BOYS (Building Our Youth Stronger)
- Grief Processing
- Alternative to Suspension
- Juvenile Court Diversion and Early Risk Programs
- Youth Volunteerism
- Runaway & Locked Out Youth – Crisis Prevention
- Homeless Youth Support
- Therapeutic Art
- Prevention/Education Services, focusing on Trauma Support, community presentations to schools, community organizations, churches, libraries, for-profit, and non-profit companies.
The Youth Service Bureau has become a trusted social service organization in DeKalb County and as a result, we also offer community presentations to address any number of topics and issues facing youth and families. We present through schools, community organizations, churches, libraries, for-profit, and non-profit companies.