Jake Smith is our Cemetery Grounds Manager. Countless hours are put in by Jake and other Road District employees on mowing, pruning, weeding, and tree trimming to keep our cemeteries looking presentable and honorable for those resting there.
It contains the last resting places of City of DeKalb’s co-founder, Lewis Hunley; the patriarch of the Gurler family, Benjamin Gurler; blacksmith and machinist, Phineas Vaughan; early merchants, John M. Goodell, Basil Ruby, Willard B. King and Robert Newitt; farmer Elisha Foster, whose old brick house stands atop the hill on Annie Glidden Road, south of Taylor Street; and the parents of barb wire inventor, Joseph F. Glidden.
Evergreen is also the final resting place of several soldiers who severed in the War of 1812, The Civil War, and the Spanish American War. As this part of the restoration project was being conducted, the Township was able to unearth the graves of military veterans which had been buried over time.
Oakwood Cemetery is DeKalb’s second oldest cemetery, dating from 1865 and was originally called Oakland but the name was changed in early 1889.
Prior to 1865, there was no cemetery serving the DeKalb community. It had long been common practice to bury deceased family either on their own property or in places where it was safe to do so. Most would later be moved to cemeteries when they came into existence.